Thursday, August 7, 2014

How Long Should Air Conditioning Equipment Last?

The useful life of a Los Angeles air conditioning system is usually 10 to 15 years for the compressor in the outdoor unit. Heat pump compressors tend to fail earlier than air conditioner compressors because they are used year round. The typical life span of a furnace is between 15 and 20 years.

As your system begins to wear out, you will encounter refrigerant leaks and motor failures. Sometimes, the compressor in the outdoor unit will short out or the heat exchanger in a gas furnace will develop cracks. All of these are expensive repairs and it may prove more cost effective for you to replace your system rather than repair it.


You want to be sure that all the parts of your HVAC system work together properly. Replacing only the outdoor unit or the indoor unit of an HVAC system may appear to save money, but it could contribute to service problems later on.
A mismatched system may not deliver the energy efficiency or performance that you expect.
If an older part of the system—such as an outdoor unit of a heat pump, ductwork, piping or a furnace—is replaced, it’s important to match the new part as closely as possible to the existing system.

6 comments:

  1. I like your blog. I look forward to seeing it once. Keep up the good job.

    air conditioning in san diego
    San Diego air conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that a standard air conditioning unit will typically last between ten and fifteen years. The home I just moved into has a system that looks to be pretty close to ten years old. I'm thinking it might be worth it to just get a new one put in now so I don't have to worry about when it'll end up breaking down.
    Keara | http://www.hrstewart.com/residentialservices.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to this great blog. i really like your blog and Installed central air conditioner in our vacation home very easy. industrial ac repair and installation west palm beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article. Thanks have a nice day. For more info please visit Heating and cooling repair

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good and impressive article. I was always in search of such kind of article. Thanks for giving such informative post. I am sure lots of people find it helpful. Your blog always share something useful regarding air conditioner. Keep sharing!!
    http://www.tamcoaircon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the information on how long A/C equipment should last. I have had my A/C equipment for about eight years now and I had my first break down the other day. I need to get if fixed fast. Does anyone know of an A/C repairman that I could call to come repair my A/C. I don't want to replace it because according to the article I still have two to seven years before I need to replace the unit. I intend to use the unit to its fullest.

    http://www.onehourairwestpasco.com

    ReplyDelete